Essential Oil Safety Tips
dōTERRA pure essential oils are very potent. Whether you are applying oils topically, consuming them internally, or using them aromatically, remember one drop goes a long way. Always read the bottle labels before usage.
- When using an essential oil topically for the first time, it is recommended to dilute with a carrier oil to see how the oil reacts with your skin. Start with one drop of essential oil and 5 drops of Fractionated Coconut Oil (FCO).
- Some essential oils are more powerful or called ‘hot’ oils and should always be diluted before applying on the skin. These oils include: Cassia, Cinnamon, Clove, Geranium, Lemongrass, Oregano, and Thyme. When applying for first time start with one drop of essential oil with 10 drops of FCO.
- Some essential oils can cause photo-sensitivity. It’s best to stay out of UV light (sunlight and tanning beds) for at least 12 hrs after applying them on your skin. These are: all the citrus oils and those blends that contain one or more citrus oils, including: AromaTouch™, Bergamot, dōTERRA Air™, dōTERRA Cheer™, Citrus Bliss™, Elevation™, dōTERRA Forgive™, Grapefruit, InTune™, Lemon, dōTERRA Motivate™, dōTERRA On Guard™, Purify™, Smart & Sassy™, Wild Orange and Zendocrine™.
- Do not apply essential oils inside the nose, the inner ears, the eyes, broken skin or other sensitive areas.
- If after applying an essential oil topically your skin begins to turn red, itch or burn, remove the oil from the skin gently with a soft cloth. Alternate by using carrier oil, like FCO, and gently wiping the area.
- When consuming essential oils internally, add only 1 – 2 drops to a glass of water or another beverage, or place in an empty capsule and swallow.
- It is always recommended to dilute an essential oil before applying topically on a child and start by applying on the bottom of their feet. For babies under two years of age, aromatic application through a diffuser is a good place to start.
- Always keep the essential oil bottles away from children, in a high, out-of-reach place. And ensure they are only used under an adult supervision.
- If you have any questions about using dōTERRA essential oils for your particular needs, kindly contact us.